Current Lab Members
Dr. M. Todd Washington- the Big Man (Creator of the Washington Lab in 2003)
- Hometown: Hubbard, Ohio
- Education: Bachelor- BA in Philosophy and BS in Biology at Ohio State, PhD- Biochemistry at Ohio State, Postdoc- University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests: Reading, Star Wars, D&D, films, classical music, and playing the piano
- Random Factoids: He dreams of committing the rest of his life to learning more about the Star Wars universe.
Dr. Christine Kondratick- Research Scientist (Joined 2003)
- Hometown: Rockville, Maryland
- Education: Bachelors- Biochemistry at North Carolina State, PhD- Cellular Biology at Ohio State, Postdoc- University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests: Scrapbooking and investing in her daughter and her dancing
Kyle Powers- Graduate student (joined Spring 2012)
- Hometown: Antioch, Illinois (Chicago Suburb)
- Education: BS in Biochemistry at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Research Interests: DNA processing enzymology and industrial scale fermentation
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests: Traveling with his fiancé Melissa, his cats Gouda, Yogurt, and Nacho, Harry Potter, video games, and soccer.
- Random factoids: He can beat Super Mario 64 in 16 minutes
- Future Goals: Industry
Melissa Gildenberg- MSTP Student (joined Summer 2014)
- Hometown: West Bloomfield, Michigan
- Education: BS in Biochemistry at the University of Michigan
- Research Interests: DNA damage bypass and structural biology of pathological proteins
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests: Working as a head tutor for the Medical School, her dog Stella, rowing, and hanging out with friends and family
- Random factoids: She has been commissioned to paint murals for several different groups including her high school and she has been a kayak instructor
- Future Goals: Faculty position at an R1 university
Brittany Ripley- Graduate Student (joined Spring 2015).
- Hometown: Medford, Oregon
- Bachelors degree: BS in Chemistry with a minor in Biology from Southern Oregon University (graduated fall 2014)
- Research interests: Structure and function of ubiquitin ligases, specifically the complex Rad6-18 which is involved in the initiation of Translesion Synthesis by monoubiquitylation of PCNA.
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests: A variety of outdoor activities, staying fit, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.
- Random factoids: Grew up in a family of 9 and was home schooled all the way through high school
- Future Goals: Faculty position at a liberal arts university
Megan Pospisil- Chemistry undergraduate (joined Fall 2015)
- Hometown: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Education: Chemistry junior at the University of Iowa
- Research Interests:
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests: Being involved in campus groups such as Be the Match and the Chemistry fraternity Alpha Chi Sigma, running, and playing the ukulele
- Random factoids:
Jim Nichols- Biochemistry undergraduate (joined Fall 2015)
- Hometown: Ankeny, Iowa
- Education: Biochemistry Junior at the University of Iowa
- Research Interests: Undecided
- Hobbies and Interests: Hanging out with friends and playing sports
- Random Factoid: Went to Super Bowl XLV
Devin Reusch- Biochemistry undergraduate (joined Fall 2016)
- Hometown: Burlington, IA
- Education: AA from Kirkwood Community College, Biochemistry junior at the University of Iowa
- Research Interests: For now a general interest in DNA replication and repair mechanisms.
- Hobbies and Interests: All things family, traveling, coin collecting, cars, gaming
- Random factoids: Served in the U.S. Army under four consecutive presidents (George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barrack Obama). Been to over a dozen countries. Work full time on overnights and raising a family.
Lucas Maakestad- Biochemistry undergraduate (joined Spring 2017)
- Hometown: Osage, Iowa
- Education: Biochemistry and Chemistry sophomore at the University of Iowa
- Research Interests: Anything DNA related or that gives me the opportunity to learn something new
- Hobbies and Interests: Running, watching movies, sports, listening to music, and spending time with family and friends
- Random factoids: I have webbed toes. I have visited eight other countries.
Previous Lab Members
- Current Position: Postdoc in Johannes Walter's lab at Harvard
- Current Position: Professor in the Chemistry Department at Creighton University https://www.creighton.edu/ccas/chemistry/facultystaff/facultystaff/lynnedieckman/
- Current Position: Postdoc at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Current Position: Professor at the University of Kansas Medical Center http://www.freudenthallab.com
- Current Position: Chemistry Department Chair at Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa https://www.nwciowa.edu/chemistry/faculty/karissa-carlson